Monday 16 July 2007

Attempting my first Assamese Sonnet !

The sun is about to set, the water in the pond had a glittering golden shine to it. In our film language we call this the magic hour. Most stunning photography is done during this time of the day. It was a long awaited trip to the tea gardens. I badly needed some time to switch off from my schedule. Minku and Tuki are close friends and we had the privilege to meet them in Muktabari Tea Estate.

As my other half caught up with his friend sharing an old monk, I drifted away to the backyard. Surrounded by fresh garden leaves stood an Assam-Type house with a pond flowing nearby. White ducks swayed in it. It looked even brighter under the shadows of the sun that will soon disappear. The stillness in the air except an odd bird chirp made the moment last in my mind. As I heard echoes of laughter coming from the front garden, I parked myself at the edge of the pond.

A sudden urge prevailed in me to write something… something completely foreign. I wanted to express in a language I never dared to write before although I proudly call it my mother tongue.

Shame on me! I was writing my first Assamese Sonnet in English. I decided to dedicate it to the pond (read river) and Minku’s beautiful backyard


Misiki ke hahi mari
Nemata kaile baru tumi
Ojaan ojaan lage jodiu
Lage kionu, ojibonor aamar aai enazoree


Junak raati, xitol botahor majere
Kee nu koi gola tumi?
Bujibo khujileu janu, paam ne buji tumar monor kotha khini khuli ?


No comments: