Monday 20 November 2006

Bafta Goes Bollywood


Pratibha (Parmar) invited me to join her to the Birmingham Asian Mela. She will be interviewing Kajol and Ajay Devgan and perhaps Saif Ali Khan too. Come over, It will be fun, she said. I will put your name as my guest.

Bafta suddenly wants to go Bollywood. They have been interviewing a lot of our stars this year. Shah Rukh Khan, Preity Zinta, Masterclass with the ever-confident Karan Johar and honouring the big daddy of production houses- Yash Chopra

Birmingham is an hour and fifteen minutes by train from London. So it was a day trip for me and I asked Pratibha if I can bring my PD170 to film. Too chaotic and too strict about rights, filming and the lot. Drop the idea! Just chill for a change and go mad on the stars, the food and the mehendi.
It was an eventful day and I would like to write more about it some other time. Accept for the fact that I met the stars and pressed the flesh.. You know what I mean. Saif is a born casanova, grown into a matured actor and can converse well. The pedigree helps I guess. Ajay has a soul unlike his conceited wife, he smiles when your eyes suddenly meet- I know..sorry people! Its true when they say that certain people are better off not meeting. I actually thought the other way round before I met the couple. Kajol did the whole interview as though there was some kind of anger inside her ready to burst. Ajay was soft spoken, a hard nut to crack and spoke only in monosyllables.

On the other hand, Nasreen Munni Kabir has written books and researched in depth on Bollywood. It is refreshing to know someone like her and she even did a documentary on our baadshah Shah Rukh. She held some of the other interviews. The best of her interviews was with Aamir Khan. The more I see of the man, the more I fall in love with the actor in him. Watch his interview here

Want more Bafta Interviews:
Shah Rukh Khan
Yash Chopra
Preity Zinta
Karan Johar

No comments: